Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Meeting with ADOT set for Thurs.Sept. 6th

UPDATE

First, I would like to thank all of you for your interest and support over the past four weeks while we have been striving to save trees from destruction near the Oak Creek Bridge area and Tlaquepaque shopping complex.

Since August 7th after I recieved an email stating that 60 Sycamore trees were going to be removed to clear the way for the new bridge, roundabout, and expansion of Highway 179, I became interested in doing what I could to save as many trees as possible. I had a friend create a blog site and started the Sedona Save the Trees Network and began the plea for help to save our beautiful trees and hundreds of people signed on in support.

I want to thank everyone from the depths of my heart. And I appoligize to anyone who got upset with me during this process. It's challenging to try to make change and to not upset someone along the line.

Of the hundreds of emails that I have recieved over the past (4) weeks, I only recieved (3) letters expressing anger with my approach or mannerisms or my not having enough of the facts.
I thank ALL of those who were angry with me for coming forward and showing you care, even if you do not like me or the way that I have been expressing my concerns. Yes...I stirred up a Hornets nest, but when is there change on this Planet where everyone is happy? It takes a few brave souls to take on the challenge to make this world a better place to live.

I recieved an invitation to attend a meeting on Thurs. Sept. 6th. at the ADOT office in the Village of Oak Creek. The Sierra Club, Howard Shanker, Char Thomas were also called to attend.

Here are some of the changes that have occured:

1) The large Sycamore trees on the north side of Hgwy 179 along the road from the Oak Creek bridge towards 89A will now have a serpentine walkway that will wind around the trees instead of going straight as originally planned. This saves (7) huge Sycamores and it will look better.

2) Those same Sycamore trees will have tree-wells around their trunks due to grade changes.

3) The storm drain pipe that was orginally proposed to go in front of the Tlaquepaque wall is now going to be placed near centerline of the road to keep from damaging any of those tree roots.

There will be more news after our meeting with ADOT tomorrow.

Blessings to all,

Jim Law
Sedona Save the trees Network

No comments: