Saturday, August 11, 2007

About Heritage Trees

Hello everyone,

Read below. Is this any coincidence that just yesterday, I mentioned in a mass email that ADOT needs a certified Arborist to consult before they dig, chop or otherwise...KILL a tree.

In regards to their plans for landscaping; I have in my possession, the landscape plans...actually, there ARE no plans...only those that are written on paper that vaguely says what ADOT is supossed to do. There is no blueprint or landscape master plan for this project. I checked on this today when I went to the ADOT office that is located in Bell Rock Plaza in the Village of Oak Creek. What my (plans) say, are that ADOT is to replace every 4" tree that they cut down, with (1) 5 gallon sized plant.

There should be a caliper for caliper exchange...if you remove a 30" tree, there should be a replacement for 30" of caliper. In other words....(15) 2 inch caliper sized trees. This 2 inch sized trunk would mean the tree is at least a 24 inch box. or a $150-$200 (wholesale cost) tree that is around 10-12ft. tall at time of planting.

I am a Landscape contractor, so this is my language.

Now....back to the point....ADOT SHOULD NOT BE DESTROYING ANY SYCAMORE TREES OR COTTONWOODS. ESPECIALLY A HERITAGE TREE.

IN MOST STATES, A PERSON WOULD BE THROWN IN JAIL FOR CUTTING DOWN A TREE THAT IS OVER 100 YEARS OLD.


Now let me guess....after this email...ADOT will put out some propaganda that will state that they have a "landscape plan" and that they will be replacing all proposed trees that are to be cut down with caliper for caliper exchange. Its pretty cool that ADOT reads my email.


Thank you,

Jim Law
Land Art Works
Exec. Producer / VOICE Entertainment
928-451-0321

No comments: