Monday, August 13, 2007

Monday Aug. 13th

August 13, 2007Attention: Senator Tom O'HalleranDear Senator:I am a resident of Sedona. One of the most unique and beautiful places in Sedona is Tlaquepaque Arts and Crafts Village. The original design of the village incorporated the beautiful Sycamore trees. I understand these trees can be upwards of 600 years old. They compliment the architecture of Tlaquepaque and give Sedona a uniquely special "look," aside from the red rocks.As an employee of one of the Tlaquepaque shops, I talk to hundreds and hundreds of tourists, who comment on the beauty of these trees, and the surprising location for such trees. There are many solid environmental reasons for saving trees, not to mention the ascetic aspects. They are an overall part of the Sedona experience, and that overall experience is what brings tourists back. I remember my own experience in seeing these majestic trees for the first time, in contrast with the red rocks. I was overwhelmed at the contrast of environments, and the beauty of the Sycamores.To even cut down one of these spectacular trees is a travesty! And, I understand that there could be as many as 60 cut down for the Hwy 179 project!! Please, Senator, do not let this happen. We cannot destroy the uniqueness of Arizona's beauty and landscape in the name of progress. There IS ALWAYS another way and I urge you to take this matter to heart.

No comments: